SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trimble (NASDAQ: TRMB) today announced it has entered into an agreement with DigitalGlobe Inc. (NYSE: DGI), a leading global provider of high-resolution earth imagery solutions, to license its satellite imagery for offline use in Trimble Outdoors mobile apps, allowing outdoor enthusiasts to view and store imagery on their smartphones and tablets.
In addition, DigitalGlobe imagery will be available for high-resolution, large-format custom prints at MyTopo.com, a Trimble company.
"Our customers use Trimble apps in remote areas where network data coverage doesn't exist. Armed with smartphones loaded with memory, they're increasingly asking for map content to be stored locally on the handset for off-the-grid use. We're excited to enable our customers to cache DigitalGlobe's high-resolution imagery on their smartphones to address these needs," said Mark Harrington, vice president of Trimble. "In addition, providing our MyTopo customers with the ability to create large format print maps with DigitalGlobe's high-resolution imagery allows them to have the convenience of a traditional paper map that matches their handset experience in the field. By partnering with DigitalGlobe, Trimble can significantly enhance the quality of satellite photography available in our products."
DigitalGlobe will provide imagery down to a 30-centimeter resolution for the continental U.S. and 50-centimeter resolution globally, effective immediately. The 30-centimeter resolution means one pixel on the image equals 30 centimeters on the ground."By partnering with Trimble we can showcase how our imagery can be used in new and unique ways for location-based services companies," said Bert Turner, senior vice president of sales at DigitalGlobe. "Outdoor enthusiasts will now have access to DigitalGlobe's vast imagery library—the largest and most up to date of its kind—in order to harness the power of mapping and location intelligence even in the most remote locations." Mobile Apps with DigitalGlobe Imagery Outdoors enthusiasts will be able to use DigitalGlobe's worldwide imagery in five apps:
- Trimble Outdoors Navigator™ (iPhone, Android), designed for in-the-field navigation for hikers, backpackers, mountain bikers, and general outdoor use
- Trimble Outdoors MyTopo Maps™ (iPad, Kindle Fire, Android tablets), designed for outdoor trip planning
- Trimble GPS Hunt™ (iPhone, Android), smartphone app built for hunters
- Trimble GPS Fish™ (iPhone, Android), smartphone app built for anglers
- Trimble GPS Maps™ (iPad), tablet app designed to plan hunting and fishing trips
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts