- General Rate Case—PGE filed a 2014 General Rate Case in mid-February and has reached settlement with OPUC staff and interveners on all items except pension expense. Stipulating parties have settled on an allowed ROE of 9.75 percent, a capital structure of 50 percent debt and 50 percent equity, and an average rate base of $3.1 billion. The stipulated items, along with recently filed updates of power costs and the load forecast, result in a revised increase of $79 million in annual revenue requirement.
- Generating Projects—On June 3, PGE announced the completion of the competitive bidding process for baseload and renewable generation plants. PGE has entered into an agreement for the construction of a new 440 MW natural gas-fired baseload plant called Carty, to be built by a third party next to the Boardman coal plant. On August 1, PGE closed on an agreement to acquire development rights for the construction of a new 267 MW wind farm, which the company will now call Tucannon River Wind Farm. In addition, PGE has begun construction on Port Westward Unit 2, the 220 MW natural gas-fired capacity resource announced earlier this year. Together, these three projects represent an investment of approximately $1.3 billion (excluding AFDC) and are scheduled to come online in 2015 and 2016.
- Cascade Crossing—On June 3, PGE announced a new non-binding memorandum of understanding with Bonneville Power Administration. Under this MOU, the parties will explore a transmission capacity option whereby BPA could provide PGE with ownership of approximately 1,500 MW in transmission capacity, in exchange for certain PGE assets, investments and/or PGE transfer capabilities to BPA. Timing and costs of potential options under the MOU will need to be clarified through further discussions and are contingent upon reaching a definitive agreement with BPA. As a result of the changed conditions reflected in the MOU, PGE suspended permitting and development of Cascade Crossing and charged $52 million of capitalized costs related to Cascade Crossing to expense in the second quarter of 2013.
- Equity Financing—On June 11, PGE completed a public offering of 12,765,000 shares of common stock at an offering price per share of $29.50. 11,100,000 shares were offered pursuant to a forward sale transaction and are expected to be issued over a two-year period ending June 11, 2015. The remaining 1,665,000 shares were issued in June. Proceeds from the offering will be used for capital expenditures, debt repayment and general corporate purposes.
- Debt Financing—On June 27, PGE agreed to issue $225 million of 4.47% series First Mortgage Bonds in the private placement market. The bonds consist of $150 million due in 2044, which were issued in June, and $75 million due in 2043, which are expected to be issued in August. This financing will support capital expenditures, debt repayment and general corporate purposes.
- Credit Ratings Upgrade—On June 28, Moody’s Investor Service upgraded the long-term ratings of the company. The issuer rating improved from ‘Baa2.’ to ‘Baa1’ and the First Mortgage Bonds improved from ‘A3’ to ‘A2.’ The credit rating upgrades reflect a constructive regulatory environment with the timely recovery of prudently incurred costs, and a strong and stable financial profile with adequate liquidity to support a significant construction cycle.
- Generating Plant Outages—As disclosed on July 15, the Boardman and Colstrip Unit 4 coal plants went offline at the beginning of July due to specific equipment failures.
- Boardman, of which PGE owns 65%, experienced a thermal hammer event in the cold reheat line causing structural damage, and came back online July 31, 2013.
- Colstrip Unit 4, of which PGE owns 20%, experienced vibration and rotor issues. PGE is working closely with PPL Montana, the operator of the facility, to assess the damage and necessary repairs. Colstrip is expected to be offline for the remainder of 2013.
Portland General Electric Announces Second Quarter Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.