"There's a long history of gay people being a big part of gentrifying urban neighborhoods," Trulia Chief Economist Jed Kolko says.
Trulia recently analyzed asking prices per square foot of homes listed on its site in America's 100 largest metro areas and in just big-city neighborhoods with larger-than-average gay populations.
The site found that median prices per square foot rose 10.5% over the past year in metro areas as a whole -- but 13.8% in urban areas popular with male couples and 16.5% in neighborhoods with big lesbian populations.Kolko, who's gay himself, theorizes further that because just 10% of gay-male households and 24% of lesbian couples have children (vs. a 41% rate for U.S. couples as a whole), many can choose small homes in pricey neighborhoods.
- The site measured annual home-price appreciation by looking at median asking prices per square foot for all non-foreclosed houses and condos listed for sale on Trulia.com in the March 1-May 31 periods of this and last year.
- Trulia estimated price gains for U.S. cities as a whole by looking at asking prices for all listings in the nation's 100 largest metro areas.
- The study defined gay-friendly urban neighborhoods as ZIP codes in the 100 largest metropolitan areas where at least 1% of households identified themselves in the 2010 U.S. Census as consisting of either gay or lesbian same-sex couples. That's some three times the rate for America as a whole, where gay and lesbian same-sex couples each account for about 0.3% of the total.
- Trulia used same-sex-couple figures as a proxy for gay population because the 2010 Census didn't specifically ask people about sexual orientation. Neighborhoods the study defined as having abover-average gay populations ranged from Boston's Jamaica Plain area in the East to San Francisco's Castro District in the West.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV