Paper or Electronic Bills? Believe It or Not, Consumers Now Demand Both
The rational is simple and understandable: With less paper cluttering up residential and business mailboxes, the more trees you save.
But it turns out consumers want print and digital bills -- and they may penalize companies that don't offer both options by taking their business elsewhere.
So says a study of 2,000 U.S. adults by Two Sides, a Chicago nonprofit that promotes the "responsible use" of paper products.The study shows that more than 60% of consumers say they "would not choose a provider that does not offer paper bills and statements" and that 88% want both paper-based and digital bills -- and to be able to "switch between" payment options. paperless bills were the wave of the future, and good for them as well as for the environment. A 2010 study by the Electronic Payments Association cited a "direct correlation" between consumer satisfaction and paperless billing, with consumers who got paper bills being 10% "less satisfied with their financial institution." But the Two Sides study contradicts the Electronic Payments Association, as financial consumers seem to be taking a stand against digital-only billing from their banks, credit card companies, utility companies and other service providers. "While e-billing can be very convenient and Internet delivery is now commonplace, it's clear that U.S. consumers like paper bills and statements and don't want to be pushed into electronic-only communications," Two Sides President Phil Riebel says. Some consumers believe they're being misled by paperless billing advocates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV