TORONTO, Aug. 1, 2013 /CNW/ - Rogers Communications is calling on the federal government to engage in an informed and constructive dialogue to ensure Canada's wireless sector remains competitive and world leading.
Today's current rules give an unfair advantage to huge American players over Canadian incumbents who have invested billions to build Canada's wireless industry. Current spectrum auction rules mean they can purchase twice as much 700 MHz spectrum as the Canadian incumbents with minimal network rollout requirements.
"We share the government's goal of a competitive, world leading wireless sector," said Nadir Mohamed, President and Chief Executive Officer, Rogers Communications. "Unfortunately the government's current policies have resulted in unintended consequences that allow massive foreign companies like Verizon to take advantage of loopholes and get special advantages over Canadian companies. We welcome competition, we're just asking for a fair and level playing field."
Specifically we're asking the federal government to:
- Offer equal bidding rights in the 700 MHz auction - give Canadian carriers the same rights as large foreign incumbents
- Create an open environment - if a Canadian wireless player seeks a buyer, everyone should be able to bid
- Strengthen auction rollout requirements - ensure foreign carriers invest and build a national network in rural areas
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV