- Bell is ready to compete with any wireless carrier on a level playing field -- but 3 loopholes in federal regulations give special benefits designed for wireless startups to major US wireless players like Verizon
- All Canadians will pay to help a giant American carrier - 4x bigger than Canada's wireless sector combined - get benefits denied to Canadian companies
- Ottawa gets nothing in return - Canadian companies can't get the same subsidized access in the US or any other country
- Canadians of all kinds are concerned about the cost to individual Canadians and the impact on national investment, employment and innovation
MONTREAL, Aug. 1, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - With a growing chorus of concern across the country, Bell Canada today called on the federal government to immediately address the loopholes in its wireless policy framework that favour major US wireless carriers at the expense of Canadians and our country's world-class wireless industry and network infrastructure.
"Bell has made clear that we welcome wireless competition and we've always supported policies that promote competition. We ask only for a level playing field where the same rules apply to all," said George Cope, President and CEO of Bell Canada and BCE. "The loopholes in the wireless rules actually give major US incumbents a range of benefits designed for new players, including special access to Canadian airwaves and Canadian networks. It's time for Ottawa to confront these loopholes, their costs to Canadians and the implications for Canadian industry and infrastructure."
"We've now seen serious concern about the wireless loopholes from all corners - business and labour leaders, financial and business analysts, editorialists and academics, and thousands of other Canadians all calling on their government to level the playing field. They all see the unfairness of the wireless loopholes for Canadians and that this is an issue that needs to be discussed and addressed," said Mr. Cope.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts