- The current rules would allow Verizon to bid on two of the four blocks of prime wireless spectrum being auctioned, fully half the available prime bandwidth which wireless companies will require to serve customers into the future, especially in rural Canada given the superior signal reach of 700 MHz spectrum. This could result in one of Canada's major wireless companies as well as the developing wireless firms not acquiring any of this vital spectrum at all. Canada has globally-leading wireless service quality based on the highest private investment in telecom networks per-capita worldwide as documented in the recent OECD study. This service quality would be compromised if this unfair distribution of spectrum occurs.
- The current rules would allow Verizon to build infrastructure in urban centres only and ignore rural and suburban Canada. The current rules would furthermore allow Verizon to piggyback on existing Canadian networks rather than building their own network. Notably, if Verizon was required to build their own network, it would result in significant job creation and economic investment across the country, especially in rural Canada.
- The current rules would allow Verizon to buy small wireless carriers in Canada while preventing Canadian firms like TELUS from competing to buy them. This would enable Verizon to purchase these firms at artificially depressed values and thereby gain access to the spectrum they bought at a 41 per cent taxpayer-subsidized discount in 2008.
TELUS Calls On Industry Minister To Review The Facts And Make A Fair Decision For All Canadians
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.