NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Biotech has been hot this year, especially within the merger and acquisitions space. Now TheStreet's Adam Feuerstein and Gregg Greenberg are highlighting some earnings plays in the sector for next week.
Feuerstein said many large-cap biotech companies reported last week and the results were great, with earnings beats and guidance raises.
Starting things off will be Ariad Pharmaceuticals (ARIA), which reports on Wednesday. Analysts are looking for $10 million in sales of its leukemia drug, Iclusig, while the whisper number is actually above that, in the low- to mid-teens.
What's even more important though, he says, are sales numbers for the drug that management guides for in the ensuing quarters, since prescription growth is thought to be flattening.Dendreon (DNDN) reports earnings on Thursday. Feuerstein said the debate has been whether the company will even survive at this rate and that second half sales of Provenge will be the biggest factor. If the outlook is high enough, it will likely quiet the talks of the company's going under. NPS Pharmaceuticals (NPSP) will also report on Thursday. The company specializes in orphan-disease drugs, which have been on fire this year, according to Feuerstein. He said the focus will be on the early launch of a drug that's meant to counter short bowel syndrome and that the patient tally for it at the end of the year will also be important. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV