August is the most dangerous month of the year when it comes to on-the–job injuries, according to an analysis of Travelers’ claim data in Texas from the past two years. Texas employers filed more workers compensation claims in August than any other month. These claims are often from injuries that may be avoided, including strains, sprains, lacerations and contusions. With this data in mind, Travelers is helping Texas employers take the necessary steps to keep their workers safe.
“Employees are the backbone of any successful company, so it is important that employers take steps to keep them healthy and safe at work,” said Kim Bittle, Regional Vice President, Travelers. “The good news is many of these injuries are avoidable, and business owners can take advantage of risk management tools that help them build effective safety strategies in the workplace.”
A company can reduce its financial exposure to a workplace accident by ensuring it has workers compensation insurance in place. However, according to the Texas Department of Insurance, one-third of all businesses in Texas are non-subscribers to the workers compensation system. For small business owners, a single on-the-job accident could cripple their operations if they are not covered. An independent insurance agent can help business owners learn more about what coverage is needed for their particular business and industry.
To help businesses promote worker safety, Travelers recommends that employers take the following steps:
- Establish an integrated safety culture – Visible evidence of a commitment to safety can be shown through top management’s attendance at safety meetings, their review and action on accident reports and establishing an employee-managed safety committee.
- Implement a safety management program – A comprehensive safety program should address worker security and overall safety.
- Educate and train – Avoiding injuries can be improved with proper safety orientations, regular safety coaching from an effective mentor and regular communication.
- Hire the right person for the job – Selecting skilled, safe, dependable employees is the first step in establishing an organization’s safety culture.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV