While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 5 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Retail Properties of American (NYSE: RPAI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.60%. Inland Western Retail Real Estate Trust, Inc. is a real estate investment trust. It engages in acquisition, development and management of properties. The trust invests in the real estate markets of United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 478.00. The average volume for Retail Properties of American has been 989,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Retail Properties of American has a market cap of $2.6 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 17.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Retail Properties of American as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 66.66% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 50.56% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 88.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$16.29 million to -$1.88 million.
- Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, RETAIL PPTYS OF AMERICA INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $30.49 million or 13.56% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 13.56%, RETAIL PPTYS OF AMERICA INC is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -19.11%.
- The gross profit margin for RETAIL PPTYS OF AMERICA INC is rather low; currently it is at 24.91%. Regardless of RPAI's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RPAI's net profit margin of -1.34% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- You can view the full Retail Properties of American Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts