401(k) Participants Say a Retirement Income Stream is their Top Priority
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK (MainStreet)--A gigantic market of investors is seeking assistance. 401(k) participants say their main goal is to have a secure stream of income in retirement, and they're looking for help to achieve that, according to a survey by State Street Global Advisors (SSgA).
Most of the survey participants (80%) believe that a guaranteed monthly payout benefit is a "must have," even if it means compromising some access to their retirement savings.
"Participants are looking forward to life in retirement, and they want to be able to enjoy their golden years without financial stress," says Fredrik Axsater, managing director and head of global Defined Contribution for SSgA. "They need guidance on what do with the savings they have accumulated -- how to spend it and how to make it last."Less than one-quarter of respondents (24%) are confident that they've saved enough to retire comfortably. In fact, nearly half (46%) aren't planning on retiring until after age 66. Others are willing to wait even longer - 15% say they won't retire until after age 70.
- 55% see generating a stable income as a top priority versus generating returns (27%), or preservation of capital (25%)
- 69% believe that some sort of guaranteed monthly income stream will be necessary in addition to Social Security
- 64% of respondents plan to take monthly withdrawals to cover their expenses while only 6% prefer a lump sum payout from their plans
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV