Cramer Quick Take: The Post-Bernanke Era
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- How will the markets react to further intervention from the Federal Reserve when current Chairman Ben Bernanke isn't the one giving the orders? Breaking down the possible effects is TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Joe Deaux.
For a while it almost seemed as though it went without question that Janet Yellen would be the next chairman of the Fed. But in recent weeks, the easy-win consensus seems to be shifting, with Larry Summers entering the discussion.
Although people have said Summers will be good for the markets, Cramer wants to know which one -- bonds or stocks?
He said that Summers would be good for the U.S. dollar and bond markets, while Yellen would be better for the stock market.The rationale is simple, because Summers favors tapering more, which in turn is bad for stocks and good for the dollar. Yellen is the opposite, and is more prone to maintain or slowly taper quantitative easing, which is good for the stock market. Cramer concluded that either way, the back-and-forth debate would affect the stock market and that Yellen will likely win because that's the consensus now. However, he did say that Summers is "brilliant" and a very smart man. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV