Starbucks (SBUX) is dropping AT&T (T) as its Wi-Fi service provider and turning to Google (GOOG), which has said it can offer speeds up to 10 times faster than AT&T.
Google said it will provide wireless Internet in 7,000 U.S. Starbucks locations, beginning in new Starbucks stores over the next month. The service will then roll out to other locations across the country, beginning in the busiest locations where Wi-Fi is used the most.
Google said it will team up with telecom company Level 3 Communications in the effort.
According to a blog post by Kevin Lo, a Google general manager, Wi-Fi speeds could be up to 100 times faster than AT&T's service in cities where the high speed fiber optic network Google Fiber is available.Google and Starbucks also plan to create a new version of Starbucks Digital Network, which provides news content at the coffee chain's various locations. Financial terms of Starbucks' partnership with Google were not disclosed. Google's Wi-Fi service will continue to be free to Starbucks customers.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV