NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Friday, Aug. 2:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were rising Friday ahead of a jobs report in the U.S. that is expected to show a fourth-straight month of employment gains.
European stocks were trading higher. Asian shares ended Friday's session to the upside. Japan's Nikkei 225 index jumped 3.3% to close at 14,466.16.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. Friday includes the nonfarm payrolls report for July at 8:30 a.m. EDT, personal income and personal spending for June at 8:30 a.m., and factory orders for June at 10 a.m.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Thursday finished with gains and the S&P 500 crossed 1,700 for the first time in its history after an encouraging U.S. jobless claims report and solid corporate earnings. The S&P 500 surged 1.25% to close at 1,706.87 after reaching as high as 1,707.85. The Dow Jones Industrial Average advanced 0.83% to 15,628.02. The Nasdaq jumped 1.36% to 3,675.74
4. -- LinkedIn's (LNKD) second-quarter earnings results topped Wall Street forecasts, as the professional networking site posted a profit of 38 cents a share on revenue of $363.7 million, a 59% increase from a year earlier. LinkedIn forecast revenue for the current quarter that trailed forecasts. The company said it is expecting sales in a range of $367 million to $373 million, trailing an average analyst projection for $383.3 million, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
5. -- Chevron (CVX) is expected by Wall Street to report on Friday second-quarter earnings of $2.96 a share on revenue of $56 billion. In the year-earlier quarter, the oil giant earned $7.21 billion, or $3.66 a share, on revenue of $60.61 billion. Rivals Exxon Mobil (XOM) and Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) reported Thursday sharply lower second-quarter profit amid struggles to boost production.
6. -- Motorola, acquired by Google (GOOG) last year, introduced the Moto X phone. Motorola is assembling the Moto X in Texas, making it the first smartphone to be put together in the United States. The Moto X phone allows for a lot of customization by the user, from the color of the power button to a personalized message on the back cover.
7. -- Toyota (TM) said Friday that fiscal first-quarter profit nearly doubled on a weaker yen and it set a worldwide production goal for the 2013 calendar year at 10.1 million vehicles, which would be an industry record, according to The Associated Press. The Japanese automaker also raised its full-year earnings forecast to 1.48 trillion yen ($14.8 billion), up almost 54% from the previous year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV