HOUSTON, Aug. 1, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Orion Marine Group, Inc. (NYSE:ORN) (the "Company"), a heavy civil marine contractor, today reported net income for the three months ended June 30, 2013, of $0.2 million ($0.01 diluted earnings per share). These results compare to a net loss of $5.4 million ($0.20 diluted loss per share) for the same period a year ago.
"During the second quarter we had strong utilization on our construction equipment and improvements in dredge utilization," said Mike Pearson, Orion Marine Group's President and Chief Executive Officer. "Significant improvements in our year over year results indicate a gradual improvement in market conditions, along with our ability to operate profitably with the right mix and volume of work. As we begin the second half of 2013, we are continuing to see pockets of pricing improvement with continued high demand for our services."
Financial highlights of the Company's second quarter 2013 include:Second Quarter 2013
- Second quarter 2013 contract revenue was $84.1 million, an increase of 25%, as compared with second quarter 2012 revenue of $67.1 million.
- The Company self-performed approximately 82% of its work as measured by cost during the second quarter 2013, which was the same in the prior year period.
- Gross profit for the quarter was $7.8 million, which represents an increase of $8.0 million as compared with the second quarter of 2012. Gross profit margin for the quarter was 9.3%, which was higher than the prior year period of negative 0.3%. During the second quarter of 2013, gross profit margin improved as a result of improved equipment utilization as compared with the prior year period. Margin in the prior year period was also driven down due to idle crews and equipment following project completions.
- Selling, General, and Administrative expenses for the second quarter 2013 were $7.8 million as compared to $7.5 million in the prior year period. The increase is primarily related to additional overhead expenses as a result of the acquisition made in late 2012.
- The Company's second quarter 2013 EBITDA was $5.7 million, representing a 6.7% EBITDA margin, which compares to second quarter 2012 EBITDA of negative $2.4 million, or a negative 3.5% EBITDA margin.