Total debt outstanding at the end of the second quarter was $142.3 million, of which $115.2 million was under a term loan facility. Net debt was $140.6 million, down $22.0 million from the end of 2012 and a decrease of $30.3 million from a year ago. At June 30, 2013, the combined weighted-average interest rate on the company’s credit facilities was 5.3%. The leverage ratio at the end of the quarter was 4.0 times total debt to trailing twelve-month pro forma adjusted EBITDA, which is down from 4.2 times as of December 31, 2012, and within the maximum of 4.25 times allowed under the senior debt covenants for that period.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is the term used to refer to the standard framework of guidelines for financial accounting in the United States. GAAP includes the standards, conventions, and rules accountants follow in recording and summarizing transactions, and in the preparation of financial statements. In addition to reporting financial results in accordance with GAAP, The Dolan Company reports the following non-GAAP measures:
- Adjusted EBITDA, defined as GAAP income from continuing operations adjusted for the impact of the following: net interest expense resulting from the company’s net cash or borrowing position, which includes non-cash interest income or expense related to the changes in fair value of interest rate swaps; income tax expense; non-cash expenses, including depreciation and amortization, charges for stock options and restricted stock the company has granted, and fair value adjustments on earnouts recorded in connection with acquisitions; non-recurring items of income or expense, if applicable, including impairments of long-lived assets; and distributions paid to holders of noncontrolling interest;
- Cash earnings, defined as GAAP income from continuing operations adjusted for the impact of the following: noncontrolling interests; non-cash expenses, including non-cash interest income or expense related to the changes in the fair value of interest rate swaps, charges for stock options and restricted stock granted, fair value adjustments on earnouts recorded in connection with acquisitions, and amortization; certain non-recurring items of income or expense, including impairments of long-lived assets; and an adjustment to income tax expense related to the above reconciling items at the appropriate then-in-effect tax rate;
- Cash earnings per diluted share, defined as cash earnings divided by the number of weighted average diluted shares outstanding; and
- Free cash flow, defined as net cash provided by operating activities minus capital expenditures from continuing operations.
The Dolan Company provides these measures because it believes that they are helpful to investors in comparing year-over-year performance in light of certain non-recurring charges, and to better understand its operating performance and profitability, competitive position and future prospects. Non-GAAP measures should be considered in conjunction with the GAAP financial presentation and should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for GAAP net income attributable to The Dolan Company. In addition, it should be noted that the company’s calculations of adjusted EBITDA, cash earnings, cash earnings per diluted share, and free cash flow may not be comparable to the calculations of such measures by other companies.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts