"Modern technology allows us to transcend time and space so that we can feel like we're with our friends and family--even if we are apart," Connelly said. "I also think that the car as the quintessential status symbol
Jonathan Frausto, 21, a hair stylist at Bumble and Bumble in New York City, agrees. He used to own a car when living in California but finds having a car is not as necessary now, especially in an era of broadband and 3G connections.
"Now that it's easier to connect to people through all these different websites, it's like you don't see people making much of an initiative to, like, drive out and see someone," he said.
Connelly and Ford want to change that mentality.Ford is hatching plans to provide 100 influencers in the social media space with the Ford Fiesta for six months, a project the company undertook once before. To boot, Ford wants to appeal to a generation of digital natives by creating a more seamless transition from the home or the office into the car. "I think we live in a world of constant connectivity, and the level of connection we have at home or work is the same level that we expect to have at every point in between," Connelly said. "So you have all these drivers and passengers that are bringing these handheld devices into the car, and they're saying, 'I still want access.'" Ford pioneered Sync, its platform that pairs with any Bluetooth-enabled device with the audio system such that the device becomes hands-free, voice-activated. For just $300, a driver can then access texts or stream Pandora without taking his eyes off the road. Will The Hipster Trade The Fixie for a Ford? So how to market to a navel-gazing contingent of society? In-car social media capabilities may not be enough. "The Millennial market is known for its desire to be very expressive and individualistic--it's one of their hallmarks," Connelly said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV