American Safety Insurance Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE:ASI) today reported net earnings of $34.8 million for the three months ended June 30, 2013, or $3.54 per diluted share, as compared to $2.2 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, for the same period of 2012. Net earnings for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013 include after tax net realized gains of $31.4 million, or $3.20 per share.
Financial highlights for the quarter included 1 :
- Gross written premiums decreased 4.2% to $83.9 million
- Total revenues were $105.6 million compared to $70.1 million
- Pre-tax net realized gains were $37.5 million
- The combined ratio was 102.2% compared to 107.1%
- Annualized return on average equity (exclusive of realized and unrealized gains from investments) was 4.4%
- Book value was $32.79 per diluted share versus $34.21 at December 31, 2012
1All comparisons are with the same period last year unless stated otherwise.
Second Quarter ResultsTotal revenues in the quarter increased to $105.6 million from $70.1 million in 2012 due to net realized gains of $37.5 million in the quarter partially offset by lower investment income. During the quarter ended June 30, 2013 the Company sold $778.9 million of its investment portfolio in compliance with the merger agreement with Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited. The decline in net investment income in the 2013 quarter was due to the liquidation of a substantial portion of the investment portfolio and subsequent reinvestment of the proceeds. The investment portfolio (exclusive of cash) totaled $928.7 million at June 30, 2013 with an average credit quality of AAA, a duration of approximately six years and a book yield of 1.31 percent. The investment portfolio at June 30, 2013 includes U.S. Treasury securities of $760.3 million.