NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Initial public offerings have been hot and cold this year, but Francis Gaskins, research director for Equities.com, told TheStreet's Debra Borchardt what he expects from two upcoming public debuts.
The first company is Athlon Energy, in the drillling and exploration sector. The planned IPO is for an offering size of $300 million, with shares priced between $18 and $20 and is expected to trade under the ticker symbol "ATHL."
Gaskins said that he wants to avoid this one, with overvaluation his main concern. A similar company that recently went public was Jones Energy (JONE), which priced at the low end of its range and proceeded to trade lower once it was open to the public.
However, the problem is that Athlon is double the price of Jones, making Gaskins very leery going into the IPO. Adding to it is the 1.9 times net present value at which the company is valued, which is quite high.Ardmore Shipping, which plans to trade under the ticker symbol "ASC," currently has shares priced between $15 to $17, with an expected offering size of $160 million. The company plans to use the proceeds for expansion. Gaskins' problem is that Ardmore Shipping isn't profitable with eight ships, so how is expanding to 24 going to help? He added that while this international oil shipping play might pan out, there are plenty of other companies that are more mature, have better contracts, and more money. He is avoiding both IPOs. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV