Once my Scion bought a new car for the Atlanta police. I was driving my son home, decided at the last second to take a different route, and side-swiped a cruiser that had just headed toward a call, its siren still off. My car sustained some side-panel damage, but when it came back from the dealer it was as good as new.
Now, if I'd bought some Toyota shares along with my Scion, I'd be doing even better. They traded at about $80 then. They're now at more than $122.
And the stock has kept paying a twice-a-year dividend, even during the worst of the recession. The per-share amount has varied, from a high of $1.38 in 2008 to a low of 47 cents in 2010, but it's now back to $1.26, and the shares have a price-to-earnings ratio of nearly 20, almost twice what investors are paying for Ford (F).
If I ever have to sell my Scion, I'll be able to get a good price. Kelley Blue Book estimates it could fetch as much as $7,000, a little less than half of what it fetched new. Edmunds estimates I could get more than $6,800 for it in a trade-in, and has one for sale at a nearby dealer for $9,000.But I'm not selling. My youngest is currently commuting to college by subway and hates driving, but he'll have his license eventually, he'll graduate, he'll get into graduate school, and chances are that graduate school will be far away, far enough so that he'll want a car to get there-and-back in. The Scion is just about to cross the 100,000 mile mark, but it has lots of life left in it. So keep this under your hat: It's his graduation present. At the time of publication, the author had no investments in companies mentioned in this article. Follow @DanaBlankenhor This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV