AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN) today announced results from a new sub-analysis of the PLATO study that evaluated the incidence of stent thrombosis in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS). In the PLATO study, ACS patients who were treated with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) and who received drug-eluting or bare metal stents demonstrated a lower risk of stent thrombosis with BRILINTA ® (ticagrelor) tablets plus aspirin than with clopidogrel plus aspirin. This analysis suggests that the reduction of stent thrombosis seen with BRILINTA in the PLATO study was consistent in non–ST-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI) and ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) patients, as well as stent types (bare-metal or drug-eluting stent). These data have been published in the online issue of Circulation, currently available online.
“Stent thrombosis is a life-threatening complication that may occur after stent placement and is more frequent when platelet inhibition is inadequate,” said Dr. James Blasetto, Vice President, US Medical Affairs and Strategic Development. “This important sub-analysis suggests that the benefits of BRILINTA in reducing stent thrombosis are consistent across a broad range of ACS patients regardless of stent type or other characteristics.”
Specific data from this sub-analysis showed:
- Among the 18,624 patients hospitalized with ACS, 11,289 (60.6%) either had a previous stent implanted (n=1,404) or underwent stenting during the course of the trial (n=9,885).
- In the PLATO study, BRILINTA plus aspirin reduced stent thrombosis vs clopidogrel plus aspirin at one year: for adjucated “definite” 1.3% (n=71) vs 1.9% (n=106) (HR, 0.67 [95% confidence interval (CI), 0.50-0.91]; P=0.009).
- The reduction in definite stent thrombosis was evaluated among numerous factors including ACS type (NSTEMI or STEMI), diabetes, stent type (drug-eluting or bare metal), CYP2C19 genetic status, dose of clopidogrel pre-randomization, or use of GPIIb/IIIa inhibitors at randomization. This analysis showed no statistical interaction for the factors evaluated.
- The reduction in definite stent thrombosis with ticagrelor was also evaluated for late (> 30 days), sub-acute (24 hours – 30 days) and acute (< 24 hours) stent thrombosis.
- In the PLATO study overall, there was no significant difference in Total Major Bleeding at 12 months (which includes Fatal and Life-threatening bleeding) for BRILINTA vs clopidogrel (11.6% vs 11.2%). There was a somewhat greater risk of Non–CABG-related Major plus Minor Bleeding for BRILINTA vs clopidogrel (8.7% vs 7.0%) and Non–CABG-related Major Bleeding (4.5% vs 3.8%), respectively. PLATO trial did not show an advantage for BRILINTA compared with clopidogrel for CABG-related Bleeding (Total Major 85.8% vs 86.9% and Fatal/Life-threatening 48.1% vs 47.9%, respectively).*
BRILINTA is indicated to reduce the rate of thrombotic cardiovascular (CV) events in patients with ACS (unstable angina [UA], non–ST-elevation myocardial infarction [NSTEMI], or ST-elevation myocardial infarction [STEMI]). In PLATO, BRILINTA has been shown to reduce the rate of a combined end point of CV death, myocardial infarction (MI), or stroke compared to clopidogrel. In PLATO, the difference between treatments was driven by CV death and MI with no difference in stroke. In patients treated with an artery-opening procedure known as percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), BRILINTA reduces the rate of stent thrombosis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV