Dow Corning Corp. today announced sales of $2.69 billion and net income of $149 million for the first half of 2013. Dow Corning’s year-to-date sales and adjusted net income were down 13 percent and 9 percent, respectively, compared to 2012. Adjusted net income for 2013 excluded restructuring expenses.
J. Donald Sheets, Dow Corning's executive vice president and chief financial officer (Photo: Business Wire)
Additional information about Dow Corning’s financial results:
Second Quarter Results
- Sales were $1.43 billion, 9 percent lower than last year’s second quarter.
- Q2 silicones segment sales were up nearly 6 percent compared to Q1.
- Polysilicon sales volume and prices remained challenged by industry oversupply.
- Adjusted net income was $107 million, 11 percent lower than last year’s second quarter.
- Sales were $2.69 billion, 13 percent lower than last year.
- Adjusted net income was $174 million, 9 percent lower than last year.
|Q2 2013||Q2 2012||% Change||2013||2012||% Change|
|Sales (in billions)||$||1.43||$||1.57||-9 %||$||2.69||$||3.09||-13 %|
|Net income (in millions)||$||87||$||121||-28 %||$||149||$||192||-22 %|
|Adjusted net income* (in millions)||$||107||$||121||-11 %||$||174||$||192||-9 %|
|*Adjusted net income is a non-GAAP financial measure which excludes certain unusual items. The reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP measures is shown in the table following the news release.|
- “Significant oversupply and high raw materials costs continued to challenge the performance of our silicones segment in the first half of the year. We did see a quarter over quarter increase in the second quarter for a number of our high-value, differentiated silicone-based products. We are confident that our product portfolio, two-brand strategy, and talented team are well positioned to help our silicones business return to the trajectory of growth we expect.”
- “Hemlock Semiconductor’s performance began to stabilize in the second quarter as a result of the actions the company has taken in recent months. Polysilicon prices and volumes remain significantly down as the solar industry deals with excess capacity and awaits resolution of the global trade disputes.”
- “In the first half of the year, we made some tough decisions to reduce Dow Corning’s cost structure to enable us to continue to invest in developing innovative products that bring value to both our customers and to Dow Corning. While we have a tough road in front of us, we’re confident that our strategy – backed by our strong financial position – will enable us to return to a path of growth.”
|Dow Corning Corporation|
|Selected Financial Information|
|(in millions of U. S. dollars)|
|Consolidated Income Statement Data|
|Three Months Ended June 30,||Six Months Ended June 30,|
|Attributable to Dow Corning||$||87.2||$||121.3||$||149.3||$||191.8|
|Adjustment for Restructuring 1 , net||$||20.2||$||-||$||24.5||$||-|
|Adjusted Net Income 2||$||107.4||$||121.3||$||173.8||$||191.8|
|1||The three and six month periods ended June 30, 2013 included adjustments for restructuring charges|
|2||Adjusted Net Income is a non-GAAP financial measure which excludes certain unusual items and which reconciles to Net Income as shown.|
|Consolidated Balance Sheet Data|
|June 30, 2013||December 31, 2012|
|Property, Plant and Equipment, Net||7,417.5||7,553.1|
|Liabilities and Equity|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV