Crown Media Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:CRWN) today reported its operating results for the three and six months ended June 30, 2013.
- Strong Operating and Financial Results. Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, increased 11% over the prior year quarter to $38.7 million on the strength of Hallmark Movie Channel revenue increases and a 6% decrease in programming costs.
- 2013/2014 Upfront Negotiations Are Complete. A demand for family-friendly programming bolstered by our recent entry into the original scripted primetime series arena gave Crown Media a unique position in the marketplace, resulting in revenue growth for both Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel. CPM growth remained consistent with the overall cable marketplace, growing by low-mid single digits.
- Scatter Marketplace Remains Robust. Total Crown Media advertising sales revenue increased by 7% in Second Quarter and scatter volume grew by 39% over the same period compared to a year ago. While scatter pricing is slightly down versus last year, current scatter CPMs are up 26% on Hallmark Channel and up 20% on Hallmark Movie Channel versus Upfront.
- “Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove” Launches with Stellar Ratings and Social Media Dominance. Hallmark Channel’s first original scripted primetime series, “Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove”, kicked off July 20 securing a 2.4 household rating with over 3.8 million unduplicated viewers. The pilot ranked as the #3-rated drama premiere on cable among households this summer to-date as well as the #1-rated ad-supported cable movie of the week and day. In addition to watching the show, viewers took social media chatter by storm, making the world premiere of “Cedar Cove” the most buzzed about primetime television program overall and #2 cable program on social media according to Trendrr Research for Saturday.
- Hallmark Movie Channel Has a Banner Second Quarter. The network marked its highest-rated quarter in network history for total day and prime time among household delivery, registering increases of 35% in total day and 37% in primetime household delivery compared to the Second Quarter 2012 average. Hallmark Movie Channel is also pacing ahead of the competition, with its household delivery growth marking the largest year-to-year increase among all mid-sized ad-supported cable networks and the third largest increase of all 100 Nielsen measured ad-supported cable networks.
“Crown Media closed out a strong Second Quarter with an 11% increase to our EBITDA and solid revenue growth for Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel in our Upfront negotiations,” said Bill Abbott President and CEO, Crown Media Family Networks. “In addition viewers are connecting with our brand and both networks like never before: Hallmark Movie Channel continues to see record breaking ratings and we recently launched “Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove”, Hallmark Channel’s first original scripted series in primetime, to stellar ratings, demonstrating there is a real appetite for wholesome episodic programming on the network. The success we have seen over the first two quarters sets us up nicely to build momentum in Third Quarter, through the rest of 2013, and well into the future.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV