The Mountain View, Calif.-based firm reported revenue of $1.71 billion, a year-over-year increase of 3% in constant currency. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for sales of $1.64 billion.
Excluding items, Symantec earned 44 cents a share, up 7% on the prior year's quarter, well above analysts' estimate of 36 cents a share.
Symantec, which is still in the throes of a major restructuring effort, noted particular strength in its endpoint security and backup businesses.The company's shares climbed 4.8% to $25.52 before market open. Comcast (CMCSA) shares rose 3.91% to $44.38, boosted by the media giant's second-quarter results. Early on Wednesday, Comcast reported revenue of $16.3 billion, a 7% increase on the prior year's quarter, and above Wall Street's forecast of $16.01 billion. Comcast earned 65 cents a share, up from 50 cents a share in the same period last year. Analysts were looking for earnings of 63 cents a share. Facebook (FB) was another winner, rising 0.78% to $37.92 after closing Tuesday within pennies of its May 2012 $38 IPO price. Shares of the social network, which has been attracting plenty of positive sentiment recently, gained 6.2% on Tuesday to close at $37.61. Facebook was also the most active pre-market Nasdaq stock on share volume of 1,429,652. Micron Technology (MU) was another Nasdaq gainer, rising 0.32% to $12.64 on share volume of 100,470. Riverbed (RVBD) shares, however, plunged 15.46% to $14.82 after the networking specialist missed Wall Street's revenue estimate in its second-quarter results late on Tuesday. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV