MasterCard Incorporated (NYSE: MA) today announced financial results for the second quarter of 2013. The company reported net income of $848 million, up 19%, and earnings per diluted share of $6.96, up 23%, in each case versus the year-ago period, excluding a special item representing a charge related to the U.S. merchant litigations taken in the second quarter of 2012. These net income and earnings per diluted share growth figures are reconciled to their comparable GAAP measures in the accompanying financial tables.
Net revenue for the second quarter of 2013 was $2.1 billion, a 15% increase versus the same period in 2012, both on an as-reported basis and adjusted for currency. Net revenue growth was driven by the impact of the following:
- A 13% increase in gross dollar volume, on a local currency basis, to just over $1 trillion;
- An increase in cross-border volumes of 17%; and
- An increase in processed transactions of 11%, to 9.5 billion.
These factors were partially offset by an increase in rebates and incentives.
Worldwide purchase volume during the quarter grew 12% on a local currency basis versus the second quarter of 2012, to $734 billion. As of June 30, 2013, the company’s customers had issued 1.9 billion MasterCard and Maestro-branded cards.“We had a very good second quarter supported by increases in volume and transactions in all regions of the world despite slow economic growth globally,” said Ajay Banga, MasterCard president and CEO. “In addition to solid business performance, I am also pleased to report that our financial inclusion initiatives are having a meaningful impact. This year alone, we have launched nine programs in tandem with government entities and other partners in emerging markets which are designed to bring much needed financial access, convenience and security to more than 350 million people globally who previously would not have had access to financial products.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV