SurePayroll Inc., a leader in providing online payroll to small businesses nationwide, today announced results for the July 2013 SurePayroll Small Business Scorecard® showing optimism remaining high at 72 percent, up from a year-over-year low of 45 percent in September 2012. Month-over-month hiring was down 0.1 percent in July and the average paycheck was down 0.2 percent.
Results from the Scorecard survey indicate technology, rather than new hiring, is driving growth for small businesses, as 72 percent are doing more business online than they did a year ago. As many as 84 percent said using new tools such as their company websites, online advertising and software-as-a-service providers to streamline business has helped them grow.
“Technology seems to be driving this jobless recovery in the small business economy,” said SurePayroll CEO and President Michael Alter. “We’ve seen this trend for a while now, and our data this month really supports the idea that small businesses are leveraging technology to be more efficient, and so they’re able to grow without hiring.”
The Scorecard survey also found that 73 percent of small businesses use the company website to sell products or services; 42 percent are using online advertising and 27 percent are using tablets to showcase products. More than 60 percent are using social media as well as online services to streamline business. Seventy-seven percent said the company website is effective for selling and 64 percent found the smartphone to be an effective tool.Month-over-month SurePayroll Scorecard data showed hiring was down 0.1 percent and the average paycheck was down 0.2 percent. Hiring was down month over month in every region of the country except for the South, where it was up 0.1. Paychecks were flat month over month in the South and down across the rest of the country.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV