Net profit declined to $1.74 billion from $4.08 billion in the year-earlier quarter; the latest quarter included a $2.2 billion impairment charge on its shale oil assets in North America.
9. -- Automakers such as General Motors (GM) and Ford (F) are expected to report auto sales for July throughout the day Thursday. Analysts expect that sales in the month rose about 15% from a year earlier.
10. -- President Barack Obama nominated Sarah Bloom Raskin, a member of the Federal Reserve board, to serve as deputy Treasury secretary, the second-highest position at the Treasury.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts