8. -- Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) said Thursday that second-quarter earnings fell 57% on impairment charges, lower production and higher costs.
Net profit declined to $1.74 billion from $4.08 billion in the year-earlier quarter; the latest quarter included a $2.2 billion impairment charge on its shale oil assets in North America.
9. -- Automakers such as General Motors (GM) and Ford (F) are expected to report auto sales for July throughout the day Thursday. Analysts expect that sales in the month rose about 15% from a year earlier.
10. -- President Barack Obama nominated Sarah Bloom Raskin, a member of the Federal Reserve board, to serve as deputy Treasury secretary, the second-highest position at the Treasury.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV