By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls are piling into Fortress Investment (FIG) as two big events loom on its calendar.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of more than 2,000 March 6 calls, most of which priced for $2.25. Volume was more than 100 times open interest at the strike, indicating that new positions were initiated.
Calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased in the investment company. Investors use the contracts to position for upside cheaply, to limit capital at risk, and to generate leverage.Fortress rose 0.25% to $7.99% Tuesday and has more than doubled in the last year. It's been tracking the performance of Nationstar Mortgage (NSM), its largest investment, which also saw bullish call buying Tuesday. Both companies will report earnings in the next week: Fortress on Thursday, and Nationstar next Tuesday. Total option volume was eight times greater than average in the name Tuesday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 5-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in FIG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV