Sprott Physical gold Trust (PHYS) is a closed-end trust investing in fully allocated London Good Delivery gold bars -- no derivatives, gold certificates or other instruments. SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) is the largest physically backed gold ETF in the world. Both these ETFs offer excellent exposure to the physical asset.
A second way of "holding" gold is through the large-cap mining companies such as Goldcorp (GG).
Furthermore, these stocks are looking like a relative bargain. As the price of goal has fallen, these companies have also been subject to price pressure. Their profit margins are being squeezed, they are delaying projects, closing mines and cutting all costs possible in order to generate profits. Now may be an opportunity for investors to purchase a good long-term investment at a depreciated price.
It's important to note which stocks have a dividend component. Goldcorp suffered a loss in its second quarter. However, despite the headline number showing a $1.93 billion loss, in reality the company was able to produce adjusted operating cash flow of 48 cents a share -- more than enough to cover the $121 million in dividends the company paid. Its moves to delay capital spending will ensure the company stays profitable. It still has a healthy balance sheet and we see it as one of the fastest-growing, low-cost gold producers out there.Gold, whether the physical asset or by proxy, should not be looked at as a short-term investment. If you can look past the volatile price swings, it could be just the long-term holding that balances your portfolio. --Jason Mardinly co-wrote this report. At the time of publication the authors had positions in PHYS, GLD and GG. Follow Steve Cordasco (@CFNPlan) This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV