BRE Properties, Inc. (NYSE:BRE), a leading owner, operator and developer of high-quality apartment communities in targeted growth markets in California and Seattle, today reported Core Funds From Operations (Core FFO) of $0.63 per share for the quarter ended June 30, 2013. The per share results reflect an increase of 6.8% over the comparable period in 2012. Core FFO is used to facilitate comparisons of the Company’s earnings results and excludes certain non-core items that by their nature are not comparable when comparing periods or earnings performance between periods. All per share results are reported on a fully diluted basis.
A reconciliation of FFO and Core FFO can be found in Exhibit B of the Company’s Supplemental Operating and Financial Data. During the quarters and six months ended June 30, 2013 and 2012 there were no reconciling differences between FFO and Core FFO.
- Second quarter 2013 same-store revenues and net operating income (NOI) increased 4.7% and 7.1%, respectively, compared to the second quarter 2012. During the quarter, physical occupancy averaged 95.0%; annualized turnover was 64.5%; and average revenue per occupied home was $1,694.
- Core FFO results of $0.63 per share for the second quarter compared to the previously provided Company guidance of $0.56 to $0.60 per share reflect: (1) solid same-store revenue growth; (2) a reduced level of same-store operating expenses (including a lower level of repairs and maintenance expense and the benefit of $1.0 million in same-store real estate tax refunds); (3) timing on certain G&A expenses (primarily legal related costs); and (4) the timing of community dispositions which closed in late June.
- As previously reported, during the second quarter, BRE completed the sale of a wholly owned apartment community in Los Angeles, California for net proceeds of $46.8 million and the sale of an apartment community in Phoenix, Arizona in which the Company owned a 15% interest. Total net proceeds to BRE for the joint venture interest sale were $6.0 million.
- The Company completed construction of Aviara, a 166-home community located on Mercer Island in Seattle, Washington.
- Annual same-store guidance updated with the expectation that 2013 same-store revenues will increase in a range of 4.25% to 4.75% from 2012 levels, same-store expense will increase in a range of 1.75% to 2.50%, and same-store NOI will increase in a range of 5.0% to 6.0%.
- 2013 Core FFO guidance updated to $2.44 to $2.50 per share. Third quarter guidance announced in a range of $0.62 to $0.65 per share.
“We are pleased with the progress we have achieved in executing our strategic initiatives in 2013,” commented Constance B. Moore, Chief Executive Officer of BRE Properties. “During the second quarter, we achieved internal growth near the high end of our expectations, completed the disposition of $53 million of interests in non-core communities; and delivered our Aviara development as planned. Based on our year to date results and our expectations for the second half of 2013, we are raising the mid-points of our operational and earnings guidance. Our key initiatives remain unchanged: to maximize the operating performance of our portfolio, and continue to execute on our development and strategic disposition programs. Over time, we believe these efforts will improve our portfolio quality while preserving our balance sheet strength, which should position BRE to generate above-average returns in the coming years.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts