Buy a $1 House in Detroit?
This is really an unprecedented situation due to the size of the bankruptcy, the amount of abandoned property, the amount of violent crime and the $443,818,881.92 owed in overdue taxes and penalties.
And even if you want to throw caution to the wind and get in on the Rust Belt real estate trend, you might find manuevering the logistics rough sailing.
There are 384,861 properties in Detroit, and of those, around 100,000 are owned by various government agencies, banks and mortgage companies, according to Jerry Paffendorf, CEO of Detroit-based Loveland Technologies, which develops crowdfunding and social mapping systems in the area.
"Most of those properties are technically available for application and purchase, although the formal processes are currently difficult to navigate and the bankruptcy has put a freeze on the city selling properties,"Paffendord said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV