While Glenview Capital Management may not support terms of Tuesday's merger as attractive for H.M.A shareholders or the company's strategic review as particularly successful, it nonetheless may stand to benefit from the deal. Glenview is Community Health's top shareholder, according to Bloomberg data, with a near 10% stake.
In Tuesday trading H.M.A shares fell nearly 11% to $13.30. Community Health shares fell 3.49% to $45.58.
For Glenview, even an unattractive merger may prove to be a large windfall. H.M.A shares have gained over 100% in 2013, amid speculation the company could be an acquisition target as hospitals use consolidation to position for the implementation of the Affordable Care Act or "Obamacare." Community Health shares, meanwhile, have gained over 50% year-to-date.
Prior to Tuesday, H.M.A shares have gained over 100% in 2013, amid speculation the company could be an acquisition target as hospitals use consolidation to position for the implementation of the Affordable Care Act or "Obamacare." Community Health shares, meanwhile, have gained over 50% year-to-date.Expecting a wave of consolidation among hospitals, outpatient facilities, health care providers and pharmacy benefit managers, Glenview has made the sector its biggest bet, according to Bloomberg data. Glenview's Obamacare M&A Bet -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York Follow @antoinegara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV