NEW YORK, July 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Jarden Home Brands, makers of Ball® Brand home canning products, today announced its third annual National Can-It-Forward Day on Saturday, August 17, starring Food Network's Chopped host, Emmy and James Beard award-winning chef and cookbook author, Ted Allen. A day to celebrate fresh and local ingredients, National Can-It-Forward Day teaches the joys of fresh preserving with a live, free webcast featuring canning, crafting and entertaining demonstrations. This year, National Can-It-Forward Day will be broadcast live from 10AM to 2PM EST from the vibrant and bustling Union Square Greenmarket in New York City.
"Fresh preserving is one of the summer's hottest culinary trends with chefs from New York to Los Angeles canning their own pickles, jams, chutneys and more to enjoy and serve year-round," said Ted Allen, National Can-It-Forward Day celebrity host and author of In My Kitchen: 100 Recipes and Discoveries for Passionate Cooks . "I'm thrilled to be participating in National Can-It-Forward Day to show home cooks how easy it is to preserve your own foods to use in cooking and entertaining."
With sales of Ball brand canning jars up 31% year over year, it's clear the iconic glass mason jar is increasingly popular with consumers interested in preserving or using the jars in home decor, dining and entertaining. The recent launch of the limited-edition, vintage-inspired Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jar created a consumer frenzy with canning, design and crafting enthusiasts coveting the jars for preserving and DIY projects.
For consumers interested in learning to can, craft and more with the Ball brand mason jar, Can-It-Forward Day provides a number of opportunities to participate:
- A free, live webcast hosted at FreshPreserving.com and Facebook.com/BallCanning will feature a day of instructional fresh preserving, entertaining and crafting demonstrations starring Ted Allen on August 17 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST. Viewers will be able to ask questions and post comments in real time to be answered by canning experts.
- The webcast will be broadcast live from the Union Square Greenmarket in Manhattan. Those in the area are welcome to come by to learn how to fresh preserve at the market which will also include a Q&A with Chopped host Ted Allen. The Greenmarket is located at the North and West sides of Union Park.
- Participants can share photos, videos, questions and comments on the Ball brand home canning Facebook page, Facebook.com/BallCanning, where fresh preservers from across the country will connect on Can-It-Forward Day.
- All recipes and craft ideas from the webcast segments will be available for inspiration on the Ball brand home canning Pinterest page, Pinterest.com/BallCanning.
- Users can also Tweet along with the hashtag #canitforward.
- Consumers across the country are invited to host their own home canning parties on National Can-It-Forward Day to teach friends and family the joys of fresh preserving. Visit www.FreshPreserving.com for a Getting Started guide, home canning recipes and more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV