More Part-Time Work Means More Poverty, Study Shows
Generations of Americans can recall their experience in part-time work.
- Think of a dad working a second, part-time job to pay the mortgage and to get the kids through college.
- Think of a graduate student working to pay off a student loan and keep some extra dollars while training to become a doctor, lawyer or business executive.
- Think of a 16-year-old taking fast food orders at Burger King -- it's her first job ever and an opportunity for some extra cash for college and hanging out with friends.
In the second decade of the 21st century, however, the employment landscape is changing. More and more Americans who want full-time work just can't find it and have to settle for part-time work just to get by.
That's the consensus from the Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire, which offers a fresh look at part-time jobs in an economy that has yet to recover fully from the Great Recession. It's not a pretty picture."Part-time employment increased dramatically during the recent recession for both men and women," explains Rebecca Glauber, assistant professor of sociology at the Carsey Institute and a lead researcher on the study. Some underlying data:
- The single largest five-year increase in involuntary part-time employment since the 1970s occurred between 2007-12.
- The involuntary part-time employment rate more than doubled between 2007-12. For women, it rose to 7.8% from 3.6%. For men, the rate increased to 5.9% from 2.4%.
- While the unemployment rate has fallen slowly since 2010, the rate of workers in involuntary part-time positions has remained relatively constant.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV