American Express, in partnership with VEVO and YouTube, announced today that Kings of Leon and Fred Armisen have been selected as the next pair in its popular live stream music series “American Express Unstaged.” Kings of Leon’s exclusive performance will be live streamed from Shepherd's Bush in London at 4:00 PM ET / 1:00 PM PT on Friday, August 9 at
directed by Fred Armisen. Fans can watch the live event on YouTube’s iOS and Android apps as well as its mobile website, VEVO’s free apps for iPhone®, iPad® and Xbox 360, and on the American Express Channel, available through the American Express app on LG connected TVs. The global event precedes the highly anticipated September 24
“We're huge Fred Armisen fans and are really looking forward to working with him on this show,” said band lead singer Caleb Followill.
Created by American Express as a means for delivering premium music experiences to fans everywhere, the “American Express Unstaged” music series is a cutting-edge live event and interactive digital platform, bringing together popular musical artists with renowned film directors. Armisen, best known for his work on “Saturday Night Live” and as the co-creator and star of IFC’s “Portlandia,” will make his return to “American Express Unstaged,” this time as the director. Armisen made a surprise appearance during the “American Express Unstaged” performance that paired Vampire Weekend with director Steve Buscemi in April 2013.
“I was really impressed with the creative opportunities that a program like ‘American Express Unstaged’ offered,” said Armisen. “I am excited to work with Kings of Leon to put together a really incredible show for fans worldwide.”
American Express, in partnership with VEVO and YouTube, will continue to provide exceptional access to Kings of Leon fans and music enthusiasts worldwide through several pre-show and in-concert innovative digital features, unique experiences and one-of-a-kind content that further blur the line between an at-home and in-concert “American Express Unstaged” experience:
- Exclusive Digital Content : Building anticipation of the night, fans can visit www.amexunstaged.com to enjoy a series of surprise videos leading up to the August 9 th performance.
- Choose Your Cam: The audience can control their viewing experience throughout the show by switching between the director’s main stream and alternate artist-themed vantage points.
- 360 degree Cam: There will be a 360 o camera positioned on stage that at-home fans can control to see their own camera view.
- Backstaged: If enough fans Tweet using the hashtag #AmexUNSTAGED leading up to and during the live stream they will unlock a special piece of digital “Backstaged” content. This content will be available exclusively for the online audience and released on www.amexunstaged.com after the in-venue encore.
- Rebroadcast: Following the live performance, fans will be able to enjoy a special looped rebroadcast on www.amexunstaged.com. Following the rebroadcast, fans can watch clips of the concert on YouTube and the VEVO mobile application, and the American Express channel.
This will be the 13th innovative digital stream within the award-winning series and will build on previous duos such as Vampire Weekend and Steve Buscemi, The Killers and Werner Herzog, Kenny Chesney and Jonathan Demme, Jack White and Gary Oldman and many more.