Fed Tapering is Coming, But Not At This Meeting
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- When the Federal Open Market Committee makes its usual announcement on Wednesday following the conclusion of the two-day gathering, it's expected to reveal little change on the critical issue of when to begin tapering its stimulative bond-buying program.
Instead, the absence of anything substantive should raise expectations that the big announcement for the scaling back of Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke's historic quantitative easing will happen in September.
Dan Greenhaus, chief global strategist at BTIG in New York said there's a high probability that some modest adjustments in the statement will materialize.
"The Fed might throw in a sentence about how weak the economy has been even though it expects growth to accelerate and it might emphasize that rates are likely to stay very, very low even as it winds down asset purchases," Greenhaus said in an email."Any changes that might occur are more technical in nature," he said. Tomorrow's FOMC announcement will not include a press conference with Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke. He's likely tired with those horse-and-pony shows. Come September though, Bernanke will be asked to hold a post-meeting press conference where he will have the opportunity to justify any major policy decisions by explaining revisions to economic projections. "September
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV