Apple is reportedly working on a lower-cost iPhone as a way to combat some of the lost market share.
Pricing on the cheaper iPhone is still undetermined, with some analysts believing it could be as low as $329, unsubsidized. The average selling price (ASP) for the iPhone in Apple's fiscal third quarter fell below $600 to $581, further fueling speculation of a low-end phone.
In the past, Cook has said that China is incredibly important to Apple, so those results are obviously troubling to him, and a visit to China may have been caused by the troublesome numbers. He reiterated on the earnings call that China is incredibly important to Apple, despite the troublesome numbers from the most recent quarter. "And so I continue to believe that in the arc of time here, China is a huge opportunity for Apple and I don't get discouraged over a 90-day cycle that can have economic factors and other things in it," he said.
Apple is attacking China head on, and Cook's visit to the country is indicative of that. The tech titan plans to double the number of retail stores in China over the next two years, as well as raise the number of iPhone and iPad points of sales, which Cook noted are lower than Apple would like.AAPL data by YCharts
-- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV