JOHANNESBURG, July 30, 2013 /CNW/ - Gold Fields Limited (Gold Fields) (JSE, NYSE, NASDAQ Dubai: GFI) is pleased to announced the appointment of Alfred Baku as Senior Vice-President and Head of its West Africa Region, the largest geographic contributor to the company's production. Mr Baku will also join the Group Executive Committee. The appointment will take effect on 1 August 2013.
Mr Baku, who is currently Vice-President of Operations for the West Africa region, is the first Ghanaian to head up the region. He will be based in Accra.
Having worked his way up through the ranks, Mr Baku is a seasoned Gold Fields employee with 19 years of mining experience with Group companies in both Ghana and Australia. He first joined the Damang gold mine in 1997 as Production Engineer and became a member of Damang's senior management team in 2002. During his time in Australia, in 2005, he was Strategic Mine Planner at the Group's St Ives mine and Relieving Mine Manager at the Agnew mine. In October 2008 he became the first Ghanaian to be appointed as General Manager of Damang and in 2010 as General Manager of Tarkwa. In 2011 he was promoted to Vice President of both Ghanaian operations.
Mr Baku holds an MSc degree in Mining Engineering from the University of Mines and Technology in Ghana. He also holds a Statutory Mine Manager's certificate and is a member of the Australian Institute of Mining Metallurgy (AusIMM).Nick Holland, CEO of Gold Fields, commented: "We are delighted to announce Alfred's promotion to head up our West Africa region and to our Group Executive Committee. He brings strong continuity, technical depth and leadership to our operations in West Africa and has well established relationships with our key stakeholders. Our West African operations are a key component of our portfolio of assets and Alfred is well suited to lead this region into the very challenging next phase of its development. Notes to editors
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV