UNS Energy Corporation (NYSE: UNS) today reported second quarter 2013 net income of $34.6 million, or $0.83 per diluted share of common stock, compared with net income of $26.3 million, or $0.64 per diluted share in the same period last year.
"Our second quarter results mark the end of a four and a half year base rate freeze at TEP. The rate freeze, coupled with little to no economic growth, created significant challenges during this period," said Paul Bonavia, UNS Energy's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "Our employees responded by consistently controlling costs while improving safety and reliability."
In June, the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) approved new rates for TEP that became effective on July 1. The new rates include TEP's first base rate increase since 2008.
"TEP's new retail rates promote rate stability and strengthen TEP's financial position, bolstering our ability to make long-term investments that are in the best interests of our customers," Bonavia said.Tucson Electric Power Retail kWh Sales and Revenues TEP’s retail kWh sales decreased by 1.3 percent in the second quarter, due in part to fewer cooling degree days during the months of April and May compared with last year. The decrease in retail sales volumes led to a $1.1 million, or 0.8 percent, decrease in TEP’s retail margin revenues compared with the second quarter of 2012. Other Expenses TEP’s Base operations and maintenance (O&M) expense was $61.2 million in the second quarter of 2013 compared with $59.5 million in the second quarter of 2012. The increase was due in part to unplanned generating plant maintenance. Base O&M excludes costs directly offset by customer surcharges and third-party reimbursements. TEP's total interest expense declined by $1.4 million in the second quarter of 2013 primarily due to the expected decline in the balance of capital lease obligations compared with the second quarter of 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV