DEARBORN, Mich., July 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today marks the 150 th anniversary of the birth of Henry Ford, whose innovative ideas revolutionized transportation and brought mobility to the masses. Henry Ford's enduring impact is being recognized through events and declarations across the United States and around the world.
Celebrations at Ford Motor Company's Dearborn headquarters today are being complemented by a special proclamation by the state of Michigan declaring this " Henry Ford Day." In Washington, D.C., hundreds downtown and on Capitol Hill will mark the day enjoying commemorative cupcakes delivered by a food truck – part of a mobile movement Henry Ford would support.
While today's events mark the day of Henry Ford's birth, they are just part of a yearlong celebration of the man and his achievements.
Appropriately, given Henry Ford's global impact, the anniversary of his birth is being commemorated in countries around the world throughout 2013. Some of the events include:
- Dealers in 21 Asia Pacific markets have launched Ford Heritage month, transforming showrooms into exhibitions on Ford's rich history
- Ford of Germany marked the occasion with a series of five road rallies that celebrated Ford's numerous automotive breakthroughs over the last 110 years
- More than 4,000 people attended community events held by Ford in Romania
- In Great Britain, celebrations were capped by the reveal of a restored statue of Henry Ford at the company's UK Tech Centre
- Moving assembly line: In 1913 Henry Ford introduced the first moving assembly line for cars. Within 18 months, the amount of time needed to build a Model T was reduced from 12 ½ man-hours to 1 ½ man-hours, ushering in the modern auto industry
- $5 work day: To reduce high turnover rates among workers, Henry Ford more than doubled their pay in 1914, from $2.34 for a nine-hour day to $5 for an eight-hour day
- Vertical integration: To improve quality, Henry Ford sought to own, operate and coordinate all the resources needed to produce complete automobiles. This principle, known as vertical integration, was put into practice in 1927 with the Model A
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV