Fee income, which was up 19% in the quarter, is once again a significant driver of Citigroup's profits, helped by better-than-expected trading revenue. What this means is that, despite the weakness that remain in Citi's core banking operation, Citi, along with JPMorgan, is once again near the top in terms of investment banking.
Equally impressive is that despite the 10-basis-point sequential decline in net interest margin (NIM), the bank still benefited from an improvement in average earning assets, which contributed to a 3% year-over-year improvement in net interest income.
In the April quarter, management issued some warnings to investors and talked about working through "legacy issues," many of which have impacted upon Citigroup's ability to move forward from the height of the credit crisis. I've said it recently: I think management underestimated their ability to right this ship in the quicker-than-expected pace that they have.
As I've said before, Citigroup is not out of the woods yet. I believe the challenges that still remain in consumer banking (its largest business) serve as evidence that there is work still left to do. But the bank is navigating the trough pretty well, helped (in part) by its diligent operating expenses control - a strategy that's also working for Wells Fargo.Follow @rsaintvilus This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV