Plantronics (NYSE: PLT), a pioneer in wearable technology, was honored last week at the Wearable Tech Expo for ‘Best Application’. Cary Bran, senior director of Innovation and New Ventures at PLT Labs, a group within Plantronics, demonstrated a concept headset with embedded sensors and the ability to track the person’s head movements. The award-winning application was a Google Street View mash-up that allowed an individual anywhere in the world to share their view remotely via Google Street View.
“We are thrilled to be honored at the Wearable Tech Expo with the ‘Best Application’ award. The concept we shared has valuable real world benefits. For example, emergency first responders can benefit real time from daytime images of sites that might be poorly lit or obscured by smoke and fire,” said Cary Bran, senior director of Innovation and New Ventures at PLT Labs. “The objective of PLT Labs is to produce devices that can deliver relevant information about a person’s physical world into applications. The possibilities are limitless and I’m excited to see creativity within the developer community unleashed.”
Plantronics’ demo featured a “concept” version of the Voyager Legend® UC device with a low-latency, nine-axis sensor. The prototype headset tracks head orientation in three dimensions, heading, pitch, and roll – in other words, the X, Y, and Z axes. Plantronics shared two of their own application demos which featured integration with this prototype device.
The first application leveraged an MFI chip for ease of integration with the iOS platform and demonstrated how a wearer could manipulate an avatar on an iPad real time based on their physical head movements. The avatar demonstration and the award winning Google Street View mash-up demonstration both leveraged internal APIs and hardware which will soon be available to developers via PLT Labs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV