DALLAS, July 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the availability of the Bluetooth Smart SensorTag app for Android following the launch of Android 4.3 "Jelly Bean" native support of Bluetooth Smart Ready. The new app, available for free at www.ti.com/sensortag-app-android, removes the barriers to entry for app developers who want to take advantage of the millions of Android smartphones and tablets that will soon be Bluetooth Smart Ready[i]. With Android and iOS support, TI makes Bluetooth Smart "appcessory" development easier and faster with the CC2541-based SensorTag, which has six commonly used sensors on a single board for quick evaluation and demos. For more information about the award winning SensorTag, visit www.ti.com/lprf-stdroid-pr.
The industry has embraced the $25 SensorTag kit since it requires no hardware or software expertise to get sample Bluetooth Smart applications running on a smartphone or tablet in minutes. Android and iOS developers and device manufacturers have already been working with the SensorTag to fuel the Bluetooth Smart appcessory market. Developers can share their SensorTag-enabled Bluetooth Smart apps on TI's wiki page and on Twitter using #SensorTag.
"The addition of Bluetooth Smart support in Android 4.3 is a huge growth opportunity for the market, making it possible for Bluetooth Smart appcessories to work with all OSs. Through initiatives like TI's SensorTag and the Bluetooth SIG's Bluetooth Developer Portal, developers can get a head start with Android 4.3 to meet consumers' desire for more Bluetooth Smart apps and appcessories," said Suke Jawanda, chief marketing officer, Bluetooth SIG.
The SensorTag's six integrated sensors, including TI's TMP006 contactless IR temperature sensor, bring countless applications to life. The possibilities are endless including health and fitness, educational tools, toys and remote controls, and mobile phone accessories, all of which can be controlled by a smartphone, tablet or laptop. TI's royalty-free BLE-Stack™ software works with the SensorTag and offers an over-the-air download feature to easily maintain compatibility with end-equipment firmware updates. Additionally, the CC2541-based SensorTag kit complements TI's CC2564 Bluetooth dual-mode solution and WiLink™ combo connectivity solutions.TI's Bluetooth low energy portfolio is built to bolster the growing demand for Bluetooth Smart connectivity in the industry and offers support for several OSs that support Bluetooth Smart Ready, read more in this new blog post on ConnecTIng Wirelessly. Availability and pricingDownload the free SensorTag app for Android 4.3 on the TI website here. The SensorTag kit ( CC2541DK-SENSOR) costs $25 and is available on the TI eStore and from authorized distributors. Find out more about TI's SensorTag and Bluetooth low energy technology:
- How to get started with Bluetooth Smart for Android 4.3: www.ti.com/lprf-stdroid-pr-blog2
- TI's SensorTag wiki: www.ti.com/lprf-stdroid-pr-wiki2
- TI's CC2541: www.ti.com/lprf-stdroid-pr-pf3
- TI E2E™ Bluetooth low energy community: www.ti.com/lprf-stdroid-pr-e2e
- SensorTag videos:
- TI's wireless connectivity eNewsletter: www.ti.com/wiconnewsletter-pr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV