Elan's other asset is a pipeline of neuropsychiatric drugs, one of which the Irish company had planned to spin off into a new company before shareholders blocked the move last month.
Perrigo makes over-the-counter drugs, nutritional products and prescription pharmaceuticals, with its main markets the U.S., Mexico, Israel and the U.K. It had fiscal 2012 sales of $3.2 billion and net profit of just under $393 million, before adjustments.
The takeover will take place via a scheme of arrangement, which requires clearance from holders of 75% of the Elan stock that is voted at a forthcoming meeting, approval from Perrigo shareholders and the go-ahead from the Irish High court, as well as normal regulatory approvals.
The new company will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange and in Tel Aviv.Citigroup (C) bankers including Chris Hite, Bill White and Dave Magstadt are advising Elan, alongside Davy Corporate Finance's Eugenee Mulhern, Morgan Stanley's (MS) Colm Donlon, Ondra Partners' Michael Tory. Elan's legal advisers are A&L Goodbody and Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft. Perrigo's advisers include Barclays' (BCS) Punit Mehta and Derek Shakespeare. Written by Laura Board.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV