The Deal: Elan Agrees on $8.6B Takeover by Perrigo
Elan's other asset is a pipeline of neuropsychiatric drugs, one of which the Irish company had planned to spin off into a new company before shareholders blocked the move last month.
Perrigo makes over-the-counter drugs, nutritional products and prescription pharmaceuticals, with its main markets the U.S., Mexico, Israel and the U.K. It had fiscal 2012 sales of $3.2 billion and net profit of just under $393 million, before adjustments.
The takeover will take place via a scheme of arrangement, which requires clearance from holders of 75% of the Elan stock that is voted at a forthcoming meeting, approval from Perrigo shareholders and the go-ahead from the Irish High court, as well as normal regulatory approvals.
The new company will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange and in Tel Aviv.Citigroup (C) bankers including Chris Hite, Bill White and Dave Magstadt are advising Elan, alongside Davy Corporate Finance's Eugenee Mulhern, Morgan Stanley's (MS) Colm Donlon, Ondra Partners' Michael Tory. Elan's legal advisers are A&L Goodbody and Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft. Perrigo's advisers include Barclays' (BCS) Punit Mehta and Derek Shakespeare. Written by Laura Board.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV