OCEANPORT, N.J., July 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) – IT organizations continue to struggle with managing and providing secure access to data employees create on PCs and mobile devices. To address these challenges, CommVault today announced new Edge software capabilities that empower users to securely share, search and restore files across their own mobile, desktop and laptop devices, without requiring IT assistance or third-party services. Based on the Simpana singular software platform, CommVault Edge is a complete solution for IT to automate protection for laptops and desktops and to provide end users with immediate access to their data, regardless of where it is created. With the ability to scale to protect up to 25,000 clients, CommVault Edge technology can meet the needs of even the largest mobile workforces and can be deployed alongside customers' legacy backup environments.
The latest Edge enhancements include file synchronization between PCs and native file search through a Microsoft Windows Explorer plug-in that allow organizations to retain control over their data and information while empowering corporate employees to securely share files among their devices. These new features extend the Edge solution's capabilities for mitigating risk associated with data protection, access and management, while boosting corporate productivity by making information readily available, portable and secure through personal data clouds.
"The popularity of cloud file services and legal pressures on eDiscovery compliance are forcing enterprises to re-think how they access business information," said Jeff Echols, Senior Director, Product & Solutions Marketing, CommVault. "Efficient modern data management technologies, such as CommVault Edge, can empower employees to securely share data across the organization for better collaboration and productivity, while meeting corporate compliance requirements – in effect, transforming IT into people-centric organizations that deliver more value to the business."Better Backup and Secure Personal Clouds Boost Mobile Productivity, Cut Risk CommVault Edge technology offers advanced data protection, access and search capabilities that enable customers to define an enterprise mobility strategy, including Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) initiatives, and address challenges associated with compliance, eDiscovery and information governance. The enhanced CommVault Edge solution provides:
- Edge Sync – Ensures that workers can always get to their most recent files or different versions, regardless of the computer they were created on, via automated synchronization that shares their work across their laptops and desktops, and allows access to this data from smartphones and tablets. Edge makes data fluid with the intelligence to only run a backup if a file has changed and provides support for different environments and operating systems, such as Windows (including Windows 8), Mac (including v10.8/10.9) and Linux.
- Edge Access - Delivers data portability and self-service access to a secure, personal "data cloud." A new Windows Explorer plug-in for Windows 7 and 8 environments extends Simpana software's robust search and recovery features including mobile apps, web-based portal and integrated enterprise search. From the single web portal, end users can retrieve and view all of their protected files and e-mail in the Simpana ContentStore, CommVault's virtual repository of all managed information. The Edge solution provides global access to distributed files and documents without having to resort to consumer-grade file sharing and cloud backup services, which are outside an IT department's awareness and control.
- Edge Protection - Enables efficient, secure and transparent protection for business-critical data on laptops and desktops through source-side deduplication, opportunistic scheduling, bandwidth throttling, flexible policy definition, and the intelligence to run a backup only if a file has changed.
- Interoperability with Legacy Backup – CommVault Edge can be deployed side by side with legacy backup products, which provides customers the flexibility to quickly implement a scalable protection solution for their corporate client PCs and maximize their existing technology investments.
- Availability - The new CommVault Edge file synchronization and search capabilities are available immediately in the Simpana 10 software release. Additionally, the integration of CommVault Edge solutions, with compliance and information governance options that are part of the complete Simpana software platform, enables organizations to transform the way individuals discover, retrieve and use information.
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds
- Follow CommVault on Twitter
- Follow CommVault on Facebook
- Join CommVault on LinkedIn
- Watch CommVault videos on YouTube
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV