Publicis Omnicom will be registered in the Netherlands and listed on the New York Stock Exchange and on Euronext Paris. The deal is subject to shareholders' approval and is expected to close in the last quarter of 2013 or the first quarter of 2014.
The merger partners will also have to convince clients of the value of the deal and offer assurances that evident conflicts can be managed by internal firewalls. Omnicom counts PepsiCo (PEP) and Microsoft (MSFT) amongst its clients while Publicis has Coca-Cola (KO) and Google (GOOG).
Talks between the two companies began after Wren and Levy met six months ago at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
Omnicom tapped Moelis & Co. for financial advice and took legal counsel from a Latham & Watkins team including Mark Gerstein, Brad Faris, Joel Trotter, Jeff Hammel, Timothy FitzSimons, Olivier du Mottay, Charles-Antoine Guelluy, Alex Cohen Nicholas DeNovio, Laurence Stein,Sean Finn, Xavier Renard, Roger Goldman, Marc Williamson, Michael Egge and David Della Rocca. Omnicom also took legal advice from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.Publicis turned to Rothschild for financial advice. It took legal advice from a Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz team including partners Martin Lipton, Adam Emmerich, Ante Vucic, Deborah Paul, Michael Segal, David Kahan, Eric Rosof and Ilene Gotts. Publicis also took counsel from Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier and NautaDulith. Publicis shares were suspended from trading Monday after the French company asked that its stock resume trading when the New York market opens to allow the two companies' stock to open simultaneously. Publicis shares closed Friday at 59.35 Euros and are up 31% since the start of the year. Omnicom shares closed Friday at $65.11 and have gained 30% in the year to date. Written by Paul Whitfield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV