Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE: TEVA) today announced the formation of a global scientific research collaboration to create a comprehensive understanding and drive insights into neuroprotective therapeutic approaches in Huntington disease (HD).
The collaboration brings together the field's leading scientific researchers from Singapore, the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, United States and Israel in a coordinated and intense research program developed in Israel by Dr. Michael Hayden, one of the foremost experts on Huntington disease. The focus of the program is the interaction between laquinimod, a neuroprotective agent currently being investigated in multiple sclerosis, and various molecular pathways operative in Huntington disease.
Huntington disease stems from genetically-programmed degeneration of brain cells in selected areas of the brain. This degeneration results in uncontrolled movements, loss of intellectual faculties, and personality and emotional disturbances. Current therapy for HD consists of symptom management. There are no treatment options that control, stop or reverse the progression of the disease.
This innovative research approach aims to examine the potential to protect neurons against the neuronal degeneration characteristic of HD through multiple pathways such as; immune dysfunction in the periphery, inflammation in astrocytes and microglia, astrocyte activation in the brain and other important pathways."HD is a neurodegenerative condition that places an immense burden on the individual, their family and the community," said Dr. Michael Hayden, President, Teva Global R&D and Chief Scientific Officer. "This program is an important collaboration that will provide vital insights into potential new treatment paradigms in Huntington disease." The collaboration consists of leading Huntington disease research centers and others, purposely selected for their expertise in specific pathways relevant to HD. They include:
- Prof. Sarah Tabrizi, Professor of Clinical Neurology, University College London (UCL), Institute of Neurology
- Dr. Mahmoud A. Pouladi, Translational Laboratory in Genetic Medicine (TLGM) at the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Biomedical Science Institutes (BMSI)
- Prof. Ralf Gold, Department of Neurology, St. Josef Hospital/Ruhr University Bochum, Germany,
- Dr. Blair Leavitt, Department of Medical Genetics, The University of British Colombia
- Prof. Gareth John, Associate Professor Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Prof. Daniel Offen, Director, the Neuroscience Laboratory at Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv university
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV