Michigan-based Perrigo said it will pay Elan investors $6.25 per share in cash and $10.25 in Perrigo stock. The deal represents an 11% premium over Elan's closing price Friday.
Earlier this month, Elan said it was open to offers after spending months fighting a hostile, lower-priced takeover bid by Royal Pharma.
Perrigo said Monday it will become an Irish-based company and said it could cut its tax liabilities nearly in half, saving more than $150 million annually.About 700 U.S. companies based in Ireland pay a 12.5% rate of tax on profits, versus the U.S. rate of 35%. Elan confirmed the deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV