The pause I see in housing is within the context of a likely multiyear recovery, but it will negatively impact nominal and real GDP in the second half.
As I wrote, the Fed's and the market's optimistic economic forecasts seem destined to be wrong.
Refinancings dropped by -0.7% week over week last week, the lowest print in two years. The index has now dropped in 10 of the last 11 weeks. When refinancings decline, household cash flows are adversely impacted, and I continue to see a rocky retail sales outlook ahead. This, coupled with rising gasoline prices and a five-year low in the savings rate, should be significant headwinds to consensus growth forecasts over the next two quarters.
New mortgage applications declined by -2.1% last week, the weakest print since the middle of March. Applications are down in four of the last five weeks -- this signals a moderation in housing demand.Slow nominal GDP growth will set the stage for a more challenging top and bottom line for most large U.S. corporations. (Note: Excluding financials and buybacks, second-quarter 2013 EPS (year over year) should be only about +1%.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV