NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Doug Kass of Seabreeze Partners is known for his accurate stock market calls and keen insights into the economy, which he shares with RealMoney Pro readers in his daily trading diary.
Among the posts this past week were entries about why he's getting shorter and the latest housing numbers.
Please click here for information about subscribing to RealMoney Pro.
Why I Am Growing Shorter
Originally published on Thursday, July 25 at 10:33 a.m. EDT. Below are some of the reasons why I am getting shorter now:
- Market looks tired and appears to be rolling over.
- Arguably better economic news (which I view, by contrast, as mixed) has been discounted and so has a modest acceleration in third-quarter domestic economic growth.
- Over there, too much has been made of better eurozone economic data. As discussed yesterday, the data only suggests +0.2% real GDP growth in third quarter 2013.
- I am convinced that revenue and profits will be disappointing in the second half of the year.
- Tapering will likely start in September.
- Interest rates will continue to climb.
- The housing recovery will pause.
- Uncertainty regarding the next Fed chairman.
There's Realogy -- Then There's Reality
Originally published on Wednesday, July 24 at 12:53 p.m. EDT. Realogy (RLGY) Chairman Richard Smith just made the case on CNBC that affordability is great and at record levels that favor continued increases in home demand. His comments were wrong on several fronts. First, the traditional way of indexing affordability does not take into account changing mortgage credit standards. Let me explain. In the mid-2000s, a borrower could get a non-amortizing mortgage loan that paid interest only, was not documented and at 100% (or more) loan-to-value.
The Pause in Housing
Originally published on Wednesday, July 24 at 9:20 a.m. EDT. Housing, the straw that stirs the drink of the domestic economy, appears ripe to stall now. The mortgage data released this morning are supportive of my view. New purchase applications have weakened over the last month or so, and refinancings have collapsed. Already, as mentioned earlier in the week, existing-home sales have begun to disappoint. The ISI homebuilders survey has weakened for the last two months. Finally, a combination of higher home prices and rising mortgage rates is adversely impacting affordability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV